Explore Routes Learn how to book this upgrade
- Confirm that the flights/dates you want are available for the upgrade using miles by requesting upgrade award space on the “All search options” page.
- Click on the “Upgrade type” search in the middle of the page.
- Select the “Buy Economy and upgrade” option to search for upgrade space to Business Class from economy in the “Fare preferences” section, after you click on “Upgrade type.” See below:
- When your search results comes back, it will not only show fares and flight schedules, it will also show what flights offer an upgrade, and what the cost is.
- Click on “Details” to find out if the upgrade space is available.
- Select your flights, making sure that you are logged into your mileage account, and that you have the miles required in your account; then pay for your ticket.
This can all be done online. If you want to book over the phone, call 800-421-4655.
After you get a sense of “where good availability is” (perhaps using our survey), call American and confirm that the flights/dates you want are available for the upgrade using miles, and book it.
If the upgrade on the flights/dates you want are not available, have the agent check other dates/flights.
This cannot be done online. Call 1-800-433-7300.
Sample Savings for Business Class: Seattle to Shanghai normal fare is $3,337, however between now and Nov. 27 Cathay Pacific is offering $1,000 off Business Class (promo code HOLIDAY), meaning the fare is only $2,337, a savings of 30%.
The discount applies for many routes for travel from Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, New York, San Francisco, Seattle, and Washington, DC, for details and to book go here.
- Ticketing Deadline: Nov. 27
- Departure: Jan. 1 to May 15, 2019
- Maximum Stay: 6 months