- Confirm that the flights/dates you want are available for the upgrade using miles by requesting upgrade award space on the “All search options” page.
- Click on the “Upgrade type” search in the middle of the page.
- Select the “Buy Economy and upgrade” option to search for upgrade space to Business Class from economy in the “Fare preferences” section, after you click on “Upgrade type.” See below:
- When your search results comes back, it will not only show fares and flight schedules, it will also show what flights offer an upgrade, and what the cost is.
- Click on “Details” to find out if the upgrade space is available.
- Select your flights, making sure that you are logged into your mileage account, and that you have the miles required in your account; then pay for your ticket.
This can all be done online. If you want to book over the phone, call 800-421-4655.
After you get a sense of “where good availability is” (perhaps using our survey), call American and confirm that the flights/dates you want are available for the upgrade using miles, and book it.
If the upgrade on the flights/dates you want are not available, have the agent check other dates/flights.
This cannot be done online. Call 1-800-433-7300.
Fares from the West Coast to Europe can easily run $3,700+ if you’re not careful.
Sample Savings for Business Class: Denver to London goes for $2,510 round-trip (inclusive). Compared to high fare routes, such as Frankfurt, starting at $3,701 (inclusive), a savings of $1,191 (32%).
AARP Discount with British Airways: Members (anyone can be one) save up to $200 when booked with British Airways before Jan. 31, 2019. The San Jose – London fare is $2,671, but with the AARP discount (anyone can get it) the cost drops to $2,471. Refer back to British Airways cuts AARP discount
Upgrading on British Airways: From Business to First Class takes 36,000 to 45,000 miles during off-peak and 40,000 to 50,000 miles during peak season round-trip. For more information, go here.
Remember that Flash Airfares—which can change any time and probably will, generally within a day or two, more or less—can be extended on 13 airline websites (plus as many as 15 partner airlines). See FCF’s July report for details on How to Hold Amazing Business and First Class Flash Fares Before They Disappear into a Black Hole.
- Ticketing Deadline: Varies
- Advance Purchase: Varies
- Departure/Return Travel Days: Varies
- Travel Window: Varies
- Minimum Stay: Varies
- Maximum Stay: Varies
For Travel Agents: If your travel agent or airline reservationist is having difficulty finding these fares, provide them the “Fare Basis Code(s)”, which they can use to pull up a “Fare List” in their computer, which will give them the fare’s “rules” to help navigate to the deal: United, P; British Airways, I.
Screenshot of Availability Calendar on Google.com/flights: