- Confirm that the flights/dates you want are available for the upgrade using miles by requesting upgrade award space on the “All search options” page.
- Click on the “Upgrade type” search in the middle of the page.
- Select the “Buy Economy and upgrade” option to search for upgrade space to Business Class from economy in the “Fare preferences” section, after you click on “Upgrade type.” See below:
- When your search results comes back, it will not only show fares and flight schedules, it will also show what flights offer an upgrade, and what the cost is.
- Click on “Details” to find out if the upgrade space is available.
- Select your flights, making sure that you are logged into your mileage account, and that you have the miles required in your account; then pay for your ticket.
This can all be done online. If you want to book over the phone, call 800-421-4655.
After you get a sense of “where good availability is” (perhaps using our survey), call American and confirm that the flights/dates you want are available for the upgrade using miles, and book it.
If the upgrade on the flights/dates you want are not available, have the agent check other dates/flights.
This cannot be done online. Call 1-800-433-7300.
Fares from the West Coast to Hawaii can easily run $1,300+ if you’re not careful.
Sample Savings for Business Class: Oakland to Maui goes for $897 round-trip (inclusive). Compared to the regular fare, $1,312 (inclusive), a savings of $415 (32%).
Remember that Flash Airfares—which can change any time and probably will, generally within a day or two, more or less.
- Ticketing Deadline: None
- Advance Purchase: No restrictions
- Departure/Return Travel Days: Varies
- Travel Window: No restrictions
- Minimum Stay: Varies
- Maximum Stay: Varies
For Travel Agents: If your travel agent or airline reservationist is having difficulty finding these fares, provide them the “Fare Basis Code(s)”, which they can use to pull up a “Fare List” in their computer, which will give them the fare’s “rules” to help navigate to the deal: Delta, G; Hawaiian, A.